IMEI is an acronym for International Mobile Equipment Identity. It is a 15-digit number which is considered as an identity card to your mobile number. Let me give you a clear understanding of the IMEI number for a mobile phone. Whenever you lost any of your belongings, the identity card lets you trace your lost property with much ease. Just like the identity card, IMEI number helps you in tracking the lost Android device.
IMEI number is in a unique form with random numbers in a series. The users of Android can easily find their IMEI number just by dialing #06# in the dial pad of a mobile device. The GSM network utilizes an IMEI number in order to trace the valid devices. This, in turn, helps them to evade the access to the network of the mobile stolen by a thief. We can ultimately say that an IMEI number is beneficial to all the mobile phone users. Have you ever tried to change the IMEI number?
If not, just refer this article wherein you will get to know the complete procedure on how to change the IMEI number on Android device. The users need not have to root their Android device for altering an IMEI number. Wondering whether it is possible or not? You don’t have to doubt about that. It is plausible to change your Android phone’s IMEI number. Here’s a detailed guide!
Why Change an IMEI Number of Android?/Benefits
There are a plethora of advantages for an Android user by changing their mobile’s IMEI number. We have listed a few of them that can be beneficial to all the users of Android device.
- One can easily make their Android device untraceable by changing the IMEI.
- If you alter the IMEI number frequently, you can secure yourself from the traps of unknown stalkers.
- It would be easy for the users in fixing the issues related to invalid IMEI or whenever the IMEI is lost. Even if you change the IMEI number, the device functions like before with similar features and advantages.
- Once you change the IMEI number, you can get a whole new device ID.
- In some cases, your older version of Android device might not show the latest OS updates. By changing the IMEI number, your device’s model will be updated to the new version and you can receive the new OS updates.
Disadvantages of Changing IMEI Number
There are few limitations by changing the IMEI number of an Android device. Check it here!
- In few countries, changing an IMEI number is illegal. Before implementing the change, know whether it is legal or not. In Asia and Africa, it is legal to change the IMEI number. While it is illegal in Europe.
- The alteration of the numbers in IMEI could destroy your device as this unique number is hardcoded in your device.
- You will lose your ownership of your mobile phone. When you buy a new phone, the vendor will give the original IMEI number to the device on the receipt. By changing the IMEI number, you will lose your ability to claim it in future.
Techniques to Change IMEI Number on Android [Without Rooting]
It might be pretty challenging to change the IMEI number of Android device without rooting it. Even it is a complex procedure, we are here to help you change it without any risk.
Note: By changing the IMEI number, everything on the device will be erased completely. So, we strongly recommend you back up an Android device before changing the IMEI number.
- First of all, go to Settings on Android device.
- Tap the option that says ‘Backup & Reset’.
- On the next ‘Backup & Reset’ screen, you can find the option that says ‘Factory Data Reset’.
- A notification appears on the screen asking you to create a new Android ID [some random number].
- You can then change the IMEI number by giving a new IMEI number based on your choice.
- On your Android phone’s dial pad, enter *#7465625# or *#*#3646633.
- Just tap the Connectivity option or call pad.
- Explore the CDS information and hit the same.
- You can then check the Radio information.
- If your Android phone is a dual SIM phone then, you can see 2 options. The two options include IMEI_1[SIM1] and IMEI_2[SIM2].
- You can pick any of the options for which you want to alter the IMEI number.
- You can change the IMEI number as provided below.
- AT +EGMR=1,7,”IMEI_1” and “AT +EGMR=1,10,”IMEI_2”
- You can then replace IMEI1 or IMEI2 and then hit SEND option.
This is all you need to know about the process to change an IMEI number of the Android device. Hope this guide allows you to alter the IMEI number on your Android phone without any hassle. For more information and queries, drop them in the comments section on this page.