Microsoft, the giant software firm takes its first place in designing and developing the best software programs for all the users. In order to handle various activities related to multimedia, videos, game programming and more, Microsoft has launched DirectX. In fact, DirectX is a set of application programming interfaces [APIs]. Windows is the popular operating system rolled out in different versions for all the users. Directx 12 Download and update or install on your Windows 10, 8, 7.
All the current contemporary Windows OS versions comprise of DirectX by default. So, there is no actual need to install DirectX as a software program. However, Microsoft is well-known to release the updated versions of DirectX. By installing the latest updates on DirectX, the problems related to that software program will be fixed automatically. This will eventually enhance the performance of your games as well as the best graphics programs.
Starting with the Windows 7 version operating system, Microsoft has pre-installed the DirectX 11 version on the platform. Later, the DirectX 12 version software program has been installed on Windows 10 operating system. To give a clear understanding about DirectX, you can check out the below tutorial on how to download and install DirectX on Windows. Have a look!
DirectX for Windows:
DirectX is actually a software program which is necessary to play games and run other multimedia apps on your Windows PC or Laptop. Your device may not be able to function the games and videos or other multimedia apps on Windows devices without installing DirectX on it. Due to the lack of DirectX software, there could be some problems with your audio as well as your video playback. By default, you can find DirectX software installed on the modern Windows operating systems such as Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.
As the software program is already installed on your Windows device, the only thing that you need to do is to upgrade it. In case, there is any kind of issues with the DirectX program present with the pre-installed program then, you can update it to the latest version of DirectX. You can eventually increase the performance of your games and other multimedia stuff with the DirectX upgrade. Despite DirectX might be an integrated software program on Windows operating system, there is a possibility of updating it through a Windows update.
There are different versions of DirectX available on the web and that is launched by Microsoft. The DirectX is comprised of a plethora of application programming interfaces. Some of them include the Direct3D, DXGI, DirectWrite for fonts and more. The DirectX software program is compatible with various versions of Windows platform. Some of them include Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. If you want more information about the different versions of DirectX then, you can find it after the DirectX installation guide below.
How to Download & Install DirectX
The installation of DirectX software program could take at least 15 minutes on your Windows device. However, it could be even less than that time. As DirectX is an official API software program launched by Microsoft, you can find the latest version of it on the official website of Microsoft. Here is a step-by-step tutorial that helps the users to download and install DirectX software on your Windows 7/8/10 PC or Laptop.
- First of all, visit the official app store of Microsoft from your PC.
- You can navigate to the page where you can find the DirectX end-user runtime web installer software.
- Just below that, you can find the Download button. You can tap the button.
- Then, you will land on another page wherein you can find few recommendations from Microsoft.
- It includes the MSN default homepage and Windows malicious software removal tool.
- You can select the check boxes if you want to download the aforementioned programs alongside DirectX.
- Otherwise, simply uncheck them and the Next button will rename with No thanks and continue.
- In a few seconds, the DirectX setup file will begin downloading on your PC.
- After the completion of the downloading process, you can navigate to the downloads folder and click to open the file.
- Just by following the on-screen instructions, you can finish the installation process of DirectX on your Windows device.
- After successfully installing DirectX on your PC, you are prompted to restart your PC.
Even if you don’t get any prompt to do so, just restart the device to apply all the changes you’ve made to the device.
- After that, you can try to test the software whether it has been updated to the latest version of DirectX or not. You can even find the problems that you’ve confronted before with the gaming performance and other multimedia apps will be fixed with the latest update.
Know the Version of your DirectX on Windows
If you are quite curious about the version of DirectX that has been installed on your Windows PC or Laptop then, you can do the following.
- By using the DirectX Diagnostic tool, you can easily find out the version of DirectX installed on your device.
- In order to find the tool, you need to open the Run window from your PC.
- Just press and hold Windows Key + R on your keyboard and type the command that says dxdiag.
- You can then find the version number of DirectX software program installed in the System tab.
DirectX Versions for Windows
Microsoft has rolled out various versions of DirectX for Windows Operating systems. Here are the different versions of DirectX that can be downloaded and installed on various Windows versions. Check it out!
This is the latest version of DirectX which is compatible with the Windows 10 operating system. This is the one and only version that is supported in Windows 10 device. Through the Windows update, the users can easily update the DirectX to the latest version of DirectX 12.
We presume that Microsoft provides the availability of downloading the DirectX 12 version for the existing versions of Windows other than the Windows 10 OS.
There are a plethora of sub-versions for DirectX 11 software. It includes DirectX 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4. The DirectX 11.3 and 11.4 are purely compatible with Windows 10 OS. Just like the DirectX 12.0, the updates for the users will be available solely through the Windows update.
The DirectX 11.2 version is compatible with Windows 10 as well as Windows 8 and 8.1 versions. If there are any kind of updates related to the file of DirectX 11.2 then, the users will get them through the Windows Update. We don’t find a standalone version of DirectX 11.2 version available for the users.
DirectX 11.1 version is compatible with various versions of Windows i.e., Windows 10, 8, and Windows 7. However, it is supported in Windows 7 only after installing the platform update for this versions.
The initial version of DirectX 11.0 is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8, 7 and Vista versions of the operating system. It is available for Windows Vista only after installing the platform update.
Supports Windows 10/8/7 and Windows Vista.
This particular version of DirectX program is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8, 7, Vista and Windows XP. In case, you have a program compatible with the DirectX 9 file on your Windows PC, you can fix the problem by installing the downloadable version of the same. Even if you do so, the program won’t be downgraded to the previous versions. However, DirectX 9 is also the latest version of this program which is supported in Windows XP platform.
Final Words: That’s all! This is all you need to know about the downloading and installation process of DirectX on your Windows PC or Laptop. This tutorial also helped you in knowing about each and every version of DirectX that is compatible with different versions of Windows platform.