How To Disable Cortana In Windows 10: One of the great features in Windows 10 is the Cortana. After the arrival of Cortana Microsoft answers to Apple Siri and Google. Cortana is the first digital assistant in the world that is capable of helping users in many tasks. The main motto of the Cortana is to learn about you, understand about you, and able to help you more efficiently. Simply you can say “Hey, Cortana” on Windows 10 to have the immediate answer from service. Even though the Cortana is a great tool but many users may find the Microsoft certain info as an invasion of privacy. So let me tell you how to disable Cortana from the Microsoft to stop gathering your personal data from this article.
What is Cortana?
Cortana is a digital assistant for Windows 10. Most of the people find Cortana helpful genuinely while searching the web based on their interest. Prior to recent anniversary update of Windows 10, you can disable Cortana by toggling a single switch. Although the Cortana is good to use there are few issues regarding its privacy that collect various information and personal data according to you. Cortana can able to do few works on Microsoft like:
- Send Emails and Texts.
- Create and manage Lists.
- Chit chat and play games.
- Open any app on your device.
- Find files, location, music, and other info.
- Manage your calendar.
- Gives you reminders based on time, place or people.
- Tracks packages, teams, flights as well as interest.
- Internet history and favorites.
- Collects data from Contacts, Calendar, Location, Speech, Inking and Typing and much more.
- Weather forecasts.
How To Disable Cortana:
Based on some reasons we like to disable the Cortana completely. We have specified below the simple method to fix down the Cortana in both Windows 10 Pro and Home. If you have turned off Cortana to install the anniversary update just follow the steps which are mentioned here to disable it again. Make sure that you have a backup and proceed with caution while fixing it. Follow the steps which are mentioned if you are using a Windows 10 Home edition:
For Home Users:
- Click to open Start Menu and type regedit.
- Just right-click on the regedit and choose to run as administrator.
- Tap Yes to make changes to the app on your device.
- Copy and paste the below command in top bar and Go to
Note: If Windows Search folder can’t be found then follow the steps mentioned here to create it.
- Right-click on the “Windows” folder and scroll down to select “New” then “Key” and finally name it as “Windows Search”.
- The Windows Search which is either created or found just right-click in the blank area now and select “New” and then tap on “DWORD 32-bit Value”.
- Now name it as “Allow Cortana” and click “Enter”.
- Double-click on Allow Cortana for changing its value and set the value to “0”.
Note: If you want to Allow Cortana Later then you can come back to this step and change its value to “1” or else delete the “Allow Cortana” which you have created.
- Restart your device or else sign out and then sign in to see whether Cortana has disabled and replaced by the other search bar/icon.
For Pro and Enterprise Users:
The users who are using the Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise just follow the steps which are mentioned here to disable the Cortana:
- Hold and press the Windows + R key or else type Run in the start menu and choose to “Run”.
- Now type “gpedit.msc” and then click “OK”.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search.
- In the right side of your display double click on “Allow Cortana” setting.
- Click to disable the Allow Cortana option then tap OK.
- Restart your Computer or sign out and then sign in again to see whether Cortana has disabled and replaced by the other search bar or icon.
- Cortana can be disabled in a straightforward way just by launching the Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar. And then click on the Settings option under Cortana and slide the switch to Off position.
- Launch the Settings and scroll down for “Privacy” then click on “Speech, inking &typing” and click on “Stop getting to know me”.
- Now either the Cortana will be disabled everything that assistant knows about you on the device. However, previously collected data from the Notebook of Cortana will not be deleted.
The information that I have mentioned here might be helpful to disable the Cortana by two various methods from this article. If you have any queries regarding this issues can comment us below. We will come across your queries and find the better solution. Just stay connected to our website, and bookmark our website by pressing the keys Ctrl + D.