The latest operating system Windows 10 offers the user with many useful features. As we all know that Microsoft is the master which plans, builds and delivers the features of Windows 10 platform. Among all them, Microsoft compatibility telemetry is a feature which enables by default on every Microsoft device. It collects all the info on the user activity and later delivers to Microsoft. As the idea of this features is awesome but faces many privacy issues. In such cases, the Microsoft compatibility Telemetry should be disabled. So here I will guide you a few methods to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10 from this article.
What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry:
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry collects the technical data from Window devices. It tells the performance of a device and also covers the related software information about the device. Mainly it gathers all the information from computers, combines and uses the data for improving their service along with Windows service. Enhances the user experience to keep the Windows secure.
There should be no confusion with functional data so to understand much better have a glance at few examples which known to be as telemetry data. Based on usage of the type of hardware, details of installed applications and types of installed applications with a reliable info on device drivers under telemetry.
Some of the main function which includes the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry are mentioned here:
- Allows personalizing engagement surface of Windows.
- Keeps the Window reliable and secure.
- The usage of Windows can be analyzed and helps for the better improvement.
- Always offer an updated version of Window.
Levels of Telemetry:
Until now you came to know what is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry? So let me tell you about the levels of telemetry from here. The Levels of Telemetry can be classified into four levels like security, basic, enhanced and full. Have a brief look at their individual levels.
- Security: The data which is collected through this level of Telemetry can keep the Windows secure. It stores the data and available on editions as Windows 10 Enterprise, loT Core, and Education.
- Basic: Only the minimum data is required to identify and understand the device problems. The level of telemetry data available at this level is minimum.
- Enhanced: The telemetry data gathered at this level tell us about the use of Windows and its apps by the user. At this level, the data help for the improvement of user experience.
- Full: As this is the last level of telemetry it gathers the complete information from all the levels. It also collects the required additional data for identification and fixing all problems.
How to Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10:
Windows compatibility Telemetry or compattelrunner.exe file which uses a lot of CPU and disk processing resources. It also transfers the information regarding Telemetry and if you design to terminate Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry then you can follow any of the methods that are mentioned below.
Using Command Prompt:
By using the Command Prompt method you can disable the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10. The only thing you have to do is have a look at the steps which are mentioned here without missing any of the steps.
- Press “Window icon + R” on your system to open the Run window.
- Type “cmd” and press enter.
- From the Command Prompt, right-click on it and select “Run as administrator” option.
- Enter the following commands that are mentioned below and press Enter after every command.
sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger-DiagTrack-Listener.etl red add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection"/v AllowTelemetry/t REG_DWORD/d 0 /f
Using Registry Editor:
If you are an individual user working from home and running Windows 10 version on your PC without the Group Policy Editor then you can use the Registry Editor method to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.
- Open the Registry Editor by typing “regedit” in the Run window.
- Navigate to the below-given key now.
- Create a new DWORD of 32-bit and name it as AllowTelemetry and then assign it with a value 0.
- After completing this step it will disable Telemetry.
- If you don’t have any key then you are required to create one.
- Now you need to disable the Connected User Experience and Telemetry Service.
- For performing the third step run services.msc from a run window then locate above-given option.
- Have a double-click on “Connected User Experience and Telemetry Service” and choose to disable the Startup type option.
- The services of Connected User Experience and Telemetry feature enables the Connected User Experience in applications.
- You can also disable the Windows 10 Telemetry using Windows PowerShell. Just follow the given commands below in an order.
stop-service diagtrack set-service diagtrack -startuptype disabled
Using Diagnostics Tracking service:
As we came to know that Windows Compatibility Telemetry improves the user experience with Microsoft. If you are interested to close this feature then you will not be free to participate any feedback process. By disabling auto feed there is a possibility to step down for improving the operating system. Just follow the steps which are mentioned here for disabling the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10.
- Run the Services from a desktop application.
- From the services list, find for Diagnostics Tracking Service.
- Click to open the Property Sheet of same.
- Now from Property Window, click on General tab and choose to Disable within the Startup Type.
- A GPO is provided by the Microsoft for turning off this service.
Using Group Policy Editor:
Are you facing Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage problem? You can solve it by disabling compatelrunner.exe Microsoft compatibility telemetry service. This method will work very quickly for users who face the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage by CPU recently.
- Press the “Window icon + R” to open the Run window.
- In the Run window type “gpedit.msc” and enter OK.
- Now it will open the Local Group Policy Editor window.
- From the “Computer Configuration” click on “Administrative Templates”.
- Navigate to “Windows Components” from Administrative templates and click on it.
- Scroll down and click on Data Collection and Preview Builds option.
- In simple route Computer configuration>Administrative templates>Windows components>Data collection and preview build.
- Double-click on “Allow Telemetry”.
- Now enable disable option and click OK.
Using Task Scheduler:
Many users are facing the problem with high disk usage and heating issues. Where the compattelrunner.exe issue was not famous among them and has the ability to stop malware behavior of the .exe file. To fix this problem simply you can remove the file from Task Scheduler.
- Press “Window icon + R” to open the Run window.
- In the Run window type “taskschd.msc” and press Enter.
- Now it will open the Task Scheduler window.
- Navigate these folders Task scheduler library>Microsoft>Windows>Application experience.
- Right-click on the following folders and disable all the three displayed tasks.
- Now open the Ask scheduler library and then click on Microsoft>Windows>Customer experience improvement program.
- Again you need to disable all the three options in this section.
- By this method, you can fix the Windows Telemetry problem.
The information that I have mentioned here might be helpful to fix the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10. Based on your problem choose any of the methods to fix the issue of Telemetry on your Windows operating system. If you have any doubts regarding this issue can comment us below. We will come across your issue and finds the better solution.