Are you searching for a perfect solution to disable Windows Defender? If so, then you are on the right page. Here in this post, we will guide you how to disable or turn off the Windows Defender using Group Policy and the Registry. The users who are using Windows Operating System on their PC might aware of Windows Defender. Are you running a third-party antivirus application on your PC then make sure that built-in app Windows Defender is disabled. However, the Windows Defender is a free antimalware program that is included in Windows 7, 8, and 10. Just have a look at this blog for more info regarding how to disable Windows Defender.
What is Windows Defender?
Windows Defender is a free antivirus application which includes Microsoft on the installation of any Windows version like 7, 8, and 10. Well, it is not the best antivirus app which stops a large number of threats. This software offers security in the first line to protect your system against spyware, malicious codes, and viruses. However, the antivirus will run automatically on your PC and it disables itself when another security software is installed.
There are a few reasons where most of the users may not prefer to run the antivirus program on a particular scenario. To perform certain tasks you should disable Windows Defender on your PC. Here we are providing the two methods to disable Windows Defender using Local Group Policy and Registry.
How to disable Windows Defender:
If you are looking to disable Windows Defender temporarily then have a look at this blog. Simply follow the steps which are mentioned here to turn off it temporarily using settings application on your PC.
- Open “Settings”.
- Go to ” Update and Security” icon.
- Select on ” Windows Defender” option.
- Click to launch the Windows Defender Security Center.
- Open “Windows Defender” setting page.
- Click on “Virus and Threat Protection” settings.
- Now check all the options and disable or turn off the Real Time Protection.
- Disable Cloud-Based Protection also.
- Finally turn off Automatic Sample Submission too.
- Make sure that all the options are disabled on Windows Defender this means that Windows Defender has been disabled for permanently.
- Mainly the third-party program on your PC might have turned off the Windows Defender.
How to disable Windows Defender using Local Group Policy:
If you are using Windows 10 Pro, or Enterprise or Education then you can use the Local Group Policy Editor for disabling Windows Defender on your PC permanently. Just follow the steps which are provided here to disable Windows Defender using Local Group Policy:
- Press and hold the ” Windows Key + R” to open “Run” command.
- Type “gpedit.msc” then click “OK” to open “Local Group Policy Editor.
- Now browse the following path:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender
- Double click to “Turn off Windows Defender” option.
- Then click to select “Enable” to disable Windows Defender.
- Finally, tap “Apply”.
- Click on “OK”.
- After the completion of above steps, you may notice the Windows Defender icon that runs on your system.
- To get rid of the Windows Defender icon simply click to “Restart” to your PC.
- If you want to re-enable the Windows Defender follow the same steps but click to select the option not configured on step 5 and then restart your system for some changes.
How to disable Windows Defender using the Registry:
The Windows Defender can be disabled only on Windows 10 Enterprise version by using Registry. But the Windows Defender can’t be disabled by using the Registry on Windows 10 Home version. Before using this guide make sure that you have a full backup of your system. Just follow the steps which are provided here to disable Windows Defender using the Registry:
- Press and hold ” Windows Key + R ” to open “Run” command.
- Type “regedit” and click on “OK” for opening the “Registry”.
- Now browse the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Policies\ Microsoft\ Windows Defender
- If you are unable to see the DWORD “DisableAntiSpyware” then right click on the empty space and click to select “New” and press on DWORD 32-Bit Value.
- Now name the key “DisableAntiSpyware”.
- Double-click on the key which is created new and set the value from 0 to 1.
- Finally “Restart” your computer to complete the task.
The information that I have mentioned here might be helpful to disable the Windows Defender by using Local Group Policy, Registry, and Settings application. If you have any queries regarding this can comment us in the comment section below. We will come across your queries and finds the better solution. For related info, bookmark our website by pressing Ctrl + D keys.