Fix External USB Drive Not Showing Up in File Explorer in Windows 10: Mostly we use an equipment to store and transfer information for computers using a USB. From the USB end of a Flash drive is used to store music, photos or other documents from a Computer. When you connect an external USB drive the drive can be shown in a File explorer immediately. In sometimes when you connect a USB drive to your PC the drive can be unable to appear in the File Explorer. If the external drive was unable to see in your File explorer you may not worry about this issue. As you are in a right way for finding a better solution from this article how to fix external drive not showing up in file explorer.
How To Fix external USB Drive not showing up in File Explorer in Windows 10:
Before trying out of any method to fix this issue we suggest you remove or disconnect the drive from your PC. Restart or reboot your device now. After that connect the drive again to your PC to know whether you are able to see the drive in File Explorer.
If the above method doesn’t find any solution for your Windows 10 PC then from here you can find two of the methods to fix this issue. Have a glance at the blog in detail to know about the process for fixing drive to show up in File Explorer for your Windows 10.
Using a Drive Letter to Your External Drive:
- Right click on start button on the Taskbar.
- Scroll down and click to open “Disk Management”.
- Check your external drive if you have any drive letter from the Disk Management.
- If any drive letter was found it will appear next to the drive name.
- If you don’t have any drive letter you have to move for the next steps.
- Now right click on the external drive which you want to see in the File Explorer.
- Click on “Change Drive Letters and Paths”.
- Click on “Add” option.
- After clicking on Add option will open “Add Drive Letter or Path” dialog.
- Windows 10 allows a drive letter to the selected drive automatically.
- You can also choose your own drive letter if you need by clicking on down arrow which is next to the drive letter.
- Finally, Click on OK option to add the drive letter.
- Now you can show up your external USB drive in File Explorer on your Windows 10 PC.
Using Empty Drives in File Explorer:
From the Folder options, any of the options might stop your External Drive to appear in File Explorer. One of the options is to hide the empty drives in File Explorer. So you may find this method better if your external drive is empty.
- Open “Folder Options”.
- Click to hold “File” and then click on “Options/Change folder and search options”.
- Now you will be moved to “View” tab.
- From “Advanced settings” click to uncheck the “Hide empty drives” option.
- And then click on “Apply”.
- Now your external USB drive should be able to work on your Windows 10 PC to show up the File Explorer.
If you are unable to show up the external drive in your File Explorer even after trying the above solutions. Now you can try to connect the drive to another PC may be this can show up check it for once.
The information that I have mentioned here might be helpful to fix the external USB drive not showing up in File Explorer for Windows 10. As this can be easily fixed by trying out any of one method which is mentioned in this article. If you have any doubts regarding this issues can comment us below.