How To Fix This Copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine Error: ‘This Copy of Windows is not Genuine’ is a frequently caused error on the Windows PCs or Laptops. Most of the people using Windows devices might often face this specific issue with their OS. Despite rolling out bounteous operating systems, people have become quite familiar with the Windows operating system. Millions of people across the world still operate their desktop devices via Windows platform for home and business purposes. Undoubtedly, Windows is rendering a maximum of its services in one or the other way to its users.
Have you ever confronted ‘This Copy of Windows is not Genuine’ error? While you are working on your device, this error might abruptly display on the screen. Such warning and pop-up messages are quite irritating when you are working on something crucial. As this is the most common problem, it can be solved without any hassle. Whenever this error message pops-up on the screen, the screen will simply turn out blank.
This particular error message could arise whenever the license of your Windows operating system has been blocked or terminated. There are several other reasons behind the cause of this error on Windows device. In this post, we have come up with a detailed guide about ‘This Copy of Windows is genuine’. Check out the best fix to this common error explained in detail here.
What is ‘This Copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine Error’?
If you update your Windows OS with a new version of the operating system then, the screen of your PC might go blank into a black screen. Some of the program icons might be visible. Simultaneously, a pop-up error message will display on the screen saying that ‘This Copy of Windows is not Genuine’. Even if you try to restart your PC, the black background will still display on the screen.
In such a case, there are certain solutions to fix this error and bring back your device to normal position. When the Windows operating system’s version is not valid or genuine then, the device possibly displays this particular error. Usually, this error occurs after a month since the installation of Windows PC. This article will give you a precise solution to easily get through this error on Windows device.
If you try to utilize vbs/dlv in order to check the licensing status then, another pop-up message might appear on the screen as follows:
0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges.
The aforementioned error might appear for the users who use Windows 7 build 7600. However, you don’t have to tense much as it isn’t a massive issue.
Why Should we Remove this Error?
Here, we have listed some of the consequences that might be caused if you don’t fix this error as soon as possible. Check it out!
- If you don’t remove this particular error from your PC then, some of the features on the device might be constrained from being accessed by the user.
- There is no possibility to alter the wallpaper of the PC as it simply turns black.
- Due to this error, the performance of your PC might be at risk. This, in turn, could make your device run sluggishly.
- As of result of this error, the battery of your laptop might drain rapidly.
Compatible Versions of Windows for Genuine Copy
Once you are done with the installation of Windows 7 or later versions of this operating system, it runs on your PC smoothly for about a month or two. Later, you will frequently encounter this particular error on your device. Some of the possible errors include ‘this copy of windows OS is not genuine, build 7601 or windows, not genuine errors.
- The Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- The Windows 10
- Windows Build 7600
- The Windows 8
- Windows Build 6002
3 Ways to Fix ‘This Copy of Windows is not Genuine’ Error
There are three simple ways that help the users to fix this particular error on Windows PC. We have explained each and every method in detail through this post.
Method 1: Command Prompt
- At first, you need to navigate to Start menu from your desktop.
- Just type CMD in the Run window and access the command prompt window.
- You need to right click that option and pick the option that says ‘Run as Administrator.’
- After opening the Command Prompt, you need to type SLMGR -REARM and hit the enter button.
- SLMGR is actually a tool that handles the license of Windows software. REARM is a command that resets the license status of the machine.
- A confirmation message displays on the screen. You can then press OK button.
- You need to restart your Windows PC to apply the changes.
This method will work for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows operating system. If this method doesn’t work then, check out the other solutions provided below.
Method 2: Uninstall Update KB971033
After successfully installing the Windows 7 KB971033 update, you may get this error a month after the installation. If it finds out that the copy of Windows is not genuine then, it often displays the error message on your PC. Ultimately, the desktop of your PC will go blank and dark. In order to fix this error, another best solution is to uninstall the Windows update. Follow the below steps to uninstall the update KB971033.
- First of all, go to Start >> Control Panel.
- Navigate to System & Security option.
- On the left-hand side of the window, you can find the option ‘View installed updates’.
- Just click on that option and you can then check out the installed updates.
- Check for the Windows update KB971033 and just right click on it.
- Hit Uninstall button and the update gets uninstalled in a few moments.
- After successfully uninstalling the update, you need to restart your PC and once again check whether this update has been uninstalled or not.
Method 3: Turn Off Auto Updates
You need to disable the auto-update feature present on your Windows PC in order to fix this error. By permanently turning off the auto-update feature, you may not confront this error once again. Follow the steps provided below to disable the auto-update feature.
- First of all, go to Control Panel >> System & Security >> Turn off the option ‘Automatic Updates’.
- You need to pick the option ‘Never Check for Updates’.
That’s it! These are the three different ways that help the users to fix ‘This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine’ error on your Windows PC or Laptop.