The Top 10 Best Free Photoshop Alternatives: Adobe Photoshop has been used to edit or shape a photo or other images. Almost in last thirty years ago this software was preferred by worlds top designers for creating any imagination. With the help of photoshop, you can have intense graphics on videos and movies as well as for the art in a creative process. For running Photoshop you need to subscribe for a monthly package. However, several alternatives offer few features of Photoshop and don’t cost any amount to use.
Each of the alternative of Photoshop offers their own features. Comparing to one other a few may be suited the best for its specific use. But all the Photoshop alternatives don’t support for the Adobe Photoshop default format PSD. Some of the files cant are recognized few multi-layered Photoshop. So today I am here to guide you about a few alternatives to Photoshop which are available in both the free and paid versions.
Free Photoshop Alternatives:
One of the most featured Photoshop alternatives is GIMP which can be also known as GNU Image Manipulation Program. The best free alternative to Adobe Photoshop with a large set of features and face many complex tasks without any strain. As it doesn’t offer quite features of Adobe Photoshop but lets you edit the pictures with a breeze and professionally. A large number of third-party applications are available to enhance the GIMP functionality.
- GIMP is a free application for Photoshop alternative.
- Platforms: Supports almost platforms like Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- File Formats: Supported file formats of GIMP are RAW formats, GIF, JPEG, PNG, and TIFF.
- Features: A few unique features of the application are Layers, Selection editing, Lens, Plugin support and Colour Correction.
- GIMP app is available in almost 20 languages.
2: Paint. NET
A free alternative Photoshop for Windows version as a default Windows paint. With many advanced versions, this tool was developed to obtain many features from the default program for Windows. But Paint. NET doesn’t provide the best functionality of Photoshop and supports basic features that are required for an image editing tool. By installing Plugins you can increase the functionality of the tool to develop the platforms.
- Paint. NET application is available in almost two dozen (24) languages.
- Platforms: Supports Windows 7 only.
- This application can be downloaded for free no need of in-app purchases.
- File Formats: Supports some of the file formats like RAW files, JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG.
- Features: Some of the unique features of this app was Selection Editing, Histogram, Layers, Noise removal, Sharpening, Color Correction and Plugin Support.
If you are a Mac user and feeling disappointed no need to annoy. Based on Mac Cocoa Framework one of the best open source image editing tool is Seashore. As of GIMP this also formats the native files and offer similar tools and features. However, it is not powerful as Photoshop or GIMP but offers editing features as brush strokes and multiple layers. This app can be used in a simple and easy user interface for the image editing tool.
- Seashore is the free application to download.
- Platforms: Supports Mac OS X.
- File Formats: JPEG, TIFF, XCF.
- Features: A few features of this app are Layers, gradients, transparency, and Plugin Support.
Pixlr is the browser-based alternative to Photoshop who doesn’t like to close browser while editing an image. One of the best editing tool for image editing. If you go closer to Photoshop without any paid version and not leaving the browser this is the best app to use. It is simply a best web image editor. Pixlr runs mainly on the modern browsers as you have installed Flash 10 or above. A handy webcam feature is built in the app to capture and manage the pictures.
- Pixlr app is compatible with all platforms like Chrome OS, Linux, Mac OS, Windows, Android, and iOS.
- Pixlr is a free application to download no need of in-app purchases.
- File Formats: JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG.
- Features: Selection tools, Text overlays, Layers, Teeth Whitener and filter effects.
PicMonkey is an editing tool for images that lets to edit images from the browser. This tool offers some great features of Instagram image editing filters and other like blemish removal, wrinkle removal. You can also add various filters to the picture for making funny mustaches and party hats. The free version of the app offers many features.For the monthly premium versions, you can have some of the extra features. The premium version can be activated for 7 days free trial by your email address and information regarding payment.
- The PicMonkey application was a web-based platform and compatible with devices like Chrome OS, Linux, Mac OS, Android, iOS, and Windows.
- As this application can be downloaded for free no need of in-app purchases.
- File Formats: Supported file formats of the app are JPEG, TIFF, GIF, and PNG.
- Features: Shapes, Create Collages, Filters, Texts, and Effects.
The SumoPaint application looks more familiar if you had experience with Photoshop. You can have it in both the free and paid versions. Mostly the free version of SumoPaint works on flash enabled browsers and supports for on-page advertisements. As this app can run on Chrome browsers as well as Google browsers on other desktop operating systems. Comparing to Photoshop and GIMP, SumoPaint is a lightweight app and supports for fun image editing tools.
- The SumoPaint supports a web-based platforms and compatible with the devices like Chrome OS, Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
- This application can be available in both the free and paid version.
- File Formats: Supported file formats are GIF, JPEG, and PNG where the edited pictures can be saved in SUMO format.
- Features: Layer, Editing tools, Brushes, Texts, and Adjustments.
One of the interesting tools for editing and painting pictures known to be Krita which is an open source application. As a Photoshop alternative offers an advanced layer management and supports most of the PDF files. However comparing to Photoshop and GIMP, Krita app makes its own rights for being a powerful image editor. This is a free application with regular updates for desktop operating systems and manages HDR images.
- Krita is a free application to download.
- Compatible with platforms as Linux, Mac OS, Windows, and Unix.
- Features: User interface, Brush, Pop-up Palette, and Resource Manager.
8: Adobe Photoshop Express
While Adobe Photoshop needs amount to be paid for using the software. The developers offered free Photoshop application as Adobe Photoshop Express which is a free image editing tool. A mobile-friendly package that keeps the best tools for Photoshop. As it is lightweight version and offers free photo editing for browsers. The biggest failure of the app was it doesn’t support any layers, plugins or brush tools. After saving a picture with all the effects you can share it on any social networks.
- Adobe Photoshop Express is a free application to download.
- Compatible with the devices as Windows 8.1 or up for desktop/Tablet, iOS, Android and Windows 10 Mobile.
- Features: Auto-fix, Text, Blemish removal, Borders, Pop-color tool, and customization.
- File Format: Supported file formats are TIFF, JPEG.
One of the professional graphics application mostly for creators from recent years. The app has created a large buzz with its community of design by allowing nods. It combines the Photoshop and illustrator elements in a simple UI and offers many tools for professionals. With its infinite zooming and vector shapes, the Sketch is perfect for multiple resolutions.
- Sketch application can be downloaded at paid version of cost 100$.
- Compatible with a single Operating System Mac.
- Features: Most of the features are similar to Photoshop as Layers, Gradients, Color Picker, and Blending Modes.
- File Formats: Supported file formats of the Sketch app are JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and WebP.
Another complete alternative for Photoshop is Pixelmator offers for Apple services. One of the full-featured image editing tool for Mac OS. With the advanced features of this tool makes the entire image process as even faster. When compared to Photoshop this was the best alternative which should be considered by you at a low price. Even the Touch bar supports for the users who have upgraded to their latest Apple MacBook Pro.
- Pixelmator is a paid application with a price of $29.99 for downloading on your devices.
- Compatible on all platforms as Mac OS, iPhone, and iPad.
- Features: Layer, Shapes, Color Correction tools, Brushes, Retouching, Effects and Text.
- File Formats: Supported file formats are PSD, JPEG, TIFF, WebP, GIF, BMP.
The information that I have mentioned here might be helpful to know about the best photoshop alternatives for your respective devices. If you have any doubts regarding this issues can comment us below.